May 11, 2020
To our Residents, Families and Team Members,
Despite being one of the first Skilled Nursing Facilities to restrict all nonessential visitation (Level 3), we have felt the effects of Covid-19. While we still battle the Coronavirus, we are hopeful that we are passing the peak of the pandemic and its effect on our community.
Over the last two heartbreaking months we have all experienced the loss of some residents, friends, and family members to this terrible virus. During this time, we have made it a priority to keep you informed regarding the well-being of your family members and the steps we are taking to limit their exposure to the virus. Our Social Services, Nursing, and Activities teams have worked tirelessly to get you the information you need. We have also taken steps to support residents’ needs with individualized activities and virtual visits with family members when possible.
We are working closely with the Rhode Island Department of Health and are following state and federal guidelines, including those from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to limit transmission of the disease.
To date we have taken the following steps to prevent the spread of Covid-19:
- New resident admissions have been suspended.
- All persons entering the building are screened in accordance with the RI Department of Health guidance, with very restricted essential personnel only allowed entry
- We have increased cleaning and sanitizing schedules of all areas, providing housekeeping services until midnight; we have included the application of CDC and FDA approved antimicrobial coatings to common touch areas in the building.
- Staff training was increased to ensure proper infection control and limit the spread of the virus, including the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- We have followed guidance from the Department of Health to ensure the separation of residents who have tested positive from those who are negative.
Throughout this, we have been able to prevent the layoff of employees and have been able to increase wages to the heroes on the front lines of this battle. We are grateful to every team member tirelessly caring for our loved ones and braving the difficulties of this pandemic.
Every resident, family member, and team member are a cherished part of the Charlesgate family. We would like to thank you for your support during this unprecedented pandemic. This is an everchanging situation, please know that we will continue to adapt our strategy in accordance with the guidance from our local and federal officials.
We will continue to reach out to families personally and hope that you always feel at ease contacting any member of our team for information or questions. Please keep us in your thoughts as we continue this challenging journey. Be Safe and Stay Healthy.